Following the release of the 1/700 scale BB-63 Missouri in July of 2004, Tamiya introduces our
second U.S. battleship to the Waterline Series, the BB-62 New Jersey.
Serving from 1943 to 1991, the BB-62 New Jersey is the most decorated battleship in U.S.
Naval history. Launched in 1942, the New Jersey was one of 4 Iowa class battleships built by
the U.S. Like other Iowa class ships she boasted a 45,000 ton displacement, an amazing
212,000hp, was packed with three turrets of 50 caliber 40.6cm triple guns, and despite her
large size, with hull stretching over 270m, was designed narrow enough to pass through the
Panama Canal. Following serving in major battles in the Pacific during WWII, she was then
deployed to both the Korean and Vietnam War. In 1982, she was upgraded with modern
technology and weapons systems enabling her to launch Tomahawk cruise missiles and
Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Whilst serving on missions in Central America, she was rushed
to the Mediterranean in 1983 to provide fire support in Beirut, Lebanon. After serving in the
Gulf War, she was decommissioned for the last time in 1991.
- 1/700 scale Waterline Series model of the BB-62 New Jersey following 1982 reforms.
- Constructed via left-right halves for easy assembly.
- Accurate reproduction of changes made in 1982 including lattice style mast, and Tomahawk
and Harpoon launchers.
- 40.6cm triple guns are moveable thanks to use of polycaps.
- SH-60 Sea Hawk helicopter included for quality realistic finish.
- Includes a large, detailed painting reference chart.